Things We Could Use Right Away
1. BICYCLES – Huffy Single Speed Men’s & Women’s bicycles for only $89.98 or gently used adult bicycles. Check out Wal-Mart for the bikes.
2. Upright Freezers
3. Toiletry Items – Shaving Cream, Razors, Deordorant, Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste, Soap, Shampoo, Toilet Paper, etc.
4. Large Print NLT Bibles Life Application Study Bibles – For our Life Support discussion groups. The low lighting in motel rooms makes it hard to read the small print.
5. Food Sponsors – We would love to have monthly sponsors for a weekly food item. You could provide the item or sponsor the item with a monthly donation. The list is below and the current quantity is 2880 meals per month
Current Weekly Food Items:
|White Paper Sacks #8||Available|
|Sandwich Ziploc Bags||Available|
|Cookie Ziploc Bags||Available|
|Sandwich Bun||Steak ‘n Shake|
|Applesauce Fruit Cup||Available|
|Resource Sheet||Sir Speedy|
|Total Cost per Meal $1.35Cost per Month $3888.00|
Things We Dream:
1. A location for a “Donation Cafe” and food pantry. This is a relatively new concept yet one has been open in Denver since 2006. The idea is that there is no charge on the menu, everything is by donation and if you can’t donate you can work in the Café for your meal. I love this as it empowers people, trains people, and gets others involved. We envision a location with tables, free internet computers for job surfing, a food pantry and meeting place.
2. $1 Million Dollars & Community Partners – to buy and renovate a weekly stay motel and convert it into a HUD approved affordable transitional housing complex. We would purchase a motel located on or near the Strip, create a “Habitat for Humanity” project getting the community involved, and make it eco-friendly. We find that people get into their situations in desperation and just need time to get on their feet.